The Foundation is dedicated to providing resources that will improve both the health and quality of life for people living in the communities it serves.
Founded in 2003, The Cameron Foundation emerged from the sale of Southside Regional Medical Center, a hospital located in the Tri-Cities area of Virginia. The Foundation focuses on capacity building by promoting and supporting groups that help the residents of the region. The service area includes the cities of Petersburg, Colonial Heights, and Hopewell; the counties of Dinwiddie, Prince George, and Sussex; and the portion of Chesterfield County lying south of Route 10.
The Foundation was named after William E. Cameron, editor of two Petersburg newspapers, The Daily News and The Daily Index. Mr. Cameron served as the Mayor of Petersburg (1876-81) and the Governor of Virginia (1882-86), and he was instrumental in supporting education for African Americans. He also played a major role in the founding of Virginia State University.
The Cameron Foundation’s offices are located in The Weddell-McCabe-Chisolm House, a circa 1840 Greek Revival structure on South Sycamore Street in Petersburg. This headquarters includes a conference center for use by area nonprofits and businesses.
The Cameron Foundation is a non-stock corporation exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. It is a private foundation, governed by a Board of Directors whose members serve without compensation. The Foundation manages the proceeds that resulted from the sale of Southside Regional Medical Center.