The Foundation makes grants to both new and established organizations that are exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
To be eligible for Cameron funding:
- At least 51% of those served by your organization or proposed work must reside within the Foundation’s service region. This area includes the cities of Petersburg, Colonial Heights, and Hopewell; the counties of Dinwiddie, Prince George, and Sussex; and the portion of Chesterfield County lying south of Route 10.
- Your organization must be governed by an all-volunteer board of directors that consists of at least five unrelated persons. No paid staff member can participate as a voting member of the governing board. When this is the case, the organization is generally ineligible for funding from The Cameron Foundation.
Ineligible Organizations and Purposes
The Foundation will not make grants to or for:
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, creed, gender, sexual orientation, or disability
- Private foundations
- Supporting organizations
- For-profit organizations
- Expenses incurred prior to grant approval by the Foundation’s Board of Directors
- Medical research or national health agency appeals
- Academic or scientific research projects
- Religious organizations seeking support for programs to which access is restricted by religious affiliation or programs that promote a particular creed
- Organizations or groups that carry on propaganda or otherwise attempt to influence legislation or political campaigns
- Other grant agencies or foundations for ultimate distribution to organizations or programs selected by such agencies or foundations
- Purchase of tickets to fundraising events or for advertising
- Solely for publishing, producing, or distributing audio, visual, or printed material
- General operating expenses of neighborhood health centers or clinics or day care centers for children, except in exceptional circumstances
- Solely for attendance at conferences, seminars, or meetings
- Reserve funds or debt elimination
Divisions Within Organizations, Institutions or Government Entities
Grant requests from different divisions of an organization or institution will be treated as having been submitted by a single entity.
In general, state and federal governmental entities are ineligible for funding from The Cameron Foundation. However, local governmental entities are eligible for program-specific and special project purposes, excluding overhead and other administrative or operational costs.
Proposals for individual schools must be approved by and submitted through the central administration or local school district. Additionally, the central administration of a school district may apply for division-wide projects that affect multiple schools and other subunits.
Learn More »